What is Bonding?
There are many minor dental issues affecting the beauty of your smile that can be repaired simply through the use of a treatment called bonding. These minor issues can include teeth that are slightly discolored, chipped, or crooked. Bonding involves using a white filling to correct these minor dental problems. The most positive aspect of bonding is that the filling comes in many tooth-colored shades that your dentist can use to match the natural color of your teeth. With a minimal cost and virtually no discomfort, this treatment is effective in obtaining maximum aesthetic appeal.
The same filling that is used for bonding is also commonly used to fill cavities. This treatment has largely replaced the silver amalgam that was widely used in the past. The white bonding filling has eliminated a couple of the disadvantages that marked the silver fillings. First, the silver filling is quite noticeable and does not blend in with the natural color of the other teeth. This can distract from a bright, beautiful smile and is less aesthetically pleasing. Also, the silver amalgam has developed a reputation for cracking easily.
In most cases, bonding has become the treatment of choice because of certain advantages that it has:
- Bonding leaves a very natural look.
- Bonding is a less-expensive option than some other cosmetic treatments.
- Bonding can usually be completed in one office visit.
- Bonding can be repaired easily in the unlikely event that it breaks or chips.
- Bonding involves a much stronger bond with your teeth than older options for filling.
In many cases, patients who have had silver fillings earlier in their lives may find it useful to replace those silver fillings with bonding. It is never too late to work on brightening up that smile!
- I have a fear of needles, and due to that, I had let the condition of my teeth and mouth deteriorate. Thanks to the patience and gentle care of Dr. Shelly and his staff, I was able to have my teeth put back into great condition. Several long procedures were performed with sedation dentistry. During these procedures, I had no discomfort or pain. I am now a firm believer in sedation dentistry and Dr. Shelly in particular. I would recommend Dr. Shelly and his staff to anyone.
- I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Lee & Dr. Fort for taking the time to provide the care I needed on such short notice yesterday to get me in for the root canal. I feel SO MUCH BETTER!!! For the first time in over a week, I had a great night's sleep last night! As with all of the staff and three doctors, I am so glad you are all such caring, pleasant, professional people to deal with on a consistent basis. Thank you!
- I would like to thank your practice for providing excellent service. I received a free exam and x-rays from Dr. Fort and was pleased with the attention, detail and courteous behavior. I think the free exam is a great way to attract clients. Not only that, but the questionnaire regarding any concerns or uncomfortable issues for the patient was appreciated. I had not been to the dentist in many years, and these services made my visit easy. Your office is to be commended for its “bedside manner” – so many health professionals lack that.
- Just a short note to thank everyone for the wonderful, patient, and caring treatment I received at your office. My anxiety level was sky high when I arranged to have the extensive dental work done; no one could have been more afraid than I was, but you all made it easy for me and thanks to the sedation help, I breezed through it. Many, many thanks to all! P.S. I’m really enjoying having a mouthful of beautiful teeth and chewing is a pleasure!
- I just wanted to thank you for the movie tickets and for giving my wife such great treatment. I never expected to be rewarded for bugging my wife to get to the dentist. She loves you guys (as I told her for years that she would) and is glad she finally came in. See you again in a couple of months. Take care.
- I want to thank you for all the great work you have done with the braces and crowns. You do the best work I have seen and it is always a pleasure to come into the office. Your entire staff makes me feel welcome every time I come though the front door. Keep the great team work up. You are all the ‘Best.’