What are Veneers?
The effective use of veneers is one of the best ways to make dramatic improvements to the brightness of your smile. This treatment method can make positive changes in the shape of your teeth and the brightness of your teeth. Veneers are essentially custom-fit, thin shells that are made of porcelain. Rather than cover the whole tooth, they are placed on the visible part of your tooth for maximum aesthetic value.
Veneers are definitely similar in function to crowns; however, they require much less removal of tooth structure before they can be applied. Another advantage is that the application procedure is generally less uncomfortable than the application procedure for a crown. Usually, veneers are placed on teeth with blemishes in color, shape, or spacing. You will have a consultation with your dentist to determine the goals and purpose of the veneers.
Your dentist will next take a series of x-rays and impressions of the affected teeth in order to have custom-fitted veneers prepared for you at the lab. While you are waiting for the veneers to come in, the dentist will schedule an appointment to prepare your teeth for the application of the veneers. He will do this by removing a thin layer of the enamel on your teeth. Once the veneers have arrived in a couple of weeks, he will schedule another appointment at which he will apply the veneers to your teeth with a specially-formulated bonding cement.
Many patients who have become hesitant to smile or talk in public because of stained or damaged teeth will find their confidence fully restored once the veneers have been applied. They are very natural looking and do not require any special care other than normal oral hygiene.
Advantages of veneers include:
- Veneers are basically unnoticeable.
- Veneers have a great resistance to staining.
- Veneers display the natural look of healthy white tooth enamel.
- Veneers can be easily replaced if they are ever damaged.
- I have a fear of needles, and due to that, I had let the condition of my teeth and mouth deteriorate. Thanks to the patience and gentle care of Dr. Shelly and his staff, I was able to have my teeth put back into great condition. Several long procedures were performed with sedation dentistry. During these procedures, I had no discomfort or pain. I am now a firm believer in sedation dentistry and Dr. Shelly in particular. I would recommend Dr. Shelly and his staff to anyone.
- I just wanted to say thank you to Dr. Lee & Dr. Fort for taking the time to provide the care I needed on such short notice yesterday to get me in for the root canal. I feel SO MUCH BETTER!!! For the first time in over a week, I had a great night's sleep last night! As with all of the staff and three doctors, I am so glad you are all such caring, pleasant, professional people to deal with on a consistent basis. Thank you!
- I would like to thank your practice for providing excellent service. I received a free exam and x-rays from Dr. Fort and was pleased with the attention, detail and courteous behavior. I think the free exam is a great way to attract clients. Not only that, but the questionnaire regarding any concerns or uncomfortable issues for the patient was appreciated. I had not been to the dentist in many years, and these services made my visit easy. Your office is to be commended for its “bedside manner” – so many health professionals lack that.
- Just a short note to thank everyone for the wonderful, patient, and caring treatment I received at your office. My anxiety level was sky high when I arranged to have the extensive dental work done; no one could have been more afraid than I was, but you all made it easy for me and thanks to the sedation help, I breezed through it. Many, many thanks to all! P.S. I’m really enjoying having a mouthful of beautiful teeth and chewing is a pleasure!
- I just wanted to thank you for the movie tickets and for giving my wife such great treatment. I never expected to be rewarded for bugging my wife to get to the dentist. She loves you guys (as I told her for years that she would) and is glad she finally came in. See you again in a couple of months. Take care.
- I want to thank you for all the great work you have done with the braces and crowns. You do the best work I have seen and it is always a pleasure to come into the office. Your entire staff makes me feel welcome every time I come though the front door. Keep the great team work up. You are all the ‘Best.’